Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blueberry and Thimbleberry Picking



After picking our blueberries we found a nice thimbleberry patch on the way home. The patch was on a dirt road in the woods. I love to make thimbleberry jam and never seem to get out for those berries. I told John that if we could just pick one cup of berries I could make one jar of jam. It's the easiest jam to make. It just takes 1 cup of berries and 1 cup of sugar. The berry is quite tart and has natural pectin in it so it gels easily. You only have to mix the sugar and mashed berries together and bring to a roaring boil for 1 minute. That simple! Its so tasty, the jam is very seedy, but the seeds are good and crunchy. We are so fortunate to have these berries growing here in the Copper Country. I've heard that there are only 3 places in the world that they grow. I don't know how true it is, or if I even believe that though. Thimbleberry jam sells for $10.00 a jar and that is a half-pint jar. Thats a one cup jam jar. Honestly! I'm not kidding! And it seems that every year it goes up higher in price. It is such a specialty here in our tourist area that all the gift shops carry thimbleberry jam.

No comments: