Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Counting my blessings

Below I pasted an article I read in my newsletter from Dr. Mercola. I subscribe to quite a few holistic, alternative doctors newsletters. I've been researching alternative health practices for many years now. I try to eat healthy and take my vitamins and grow herbs. I'm always learning and exploring the naturepathic field. I like to follow doctors who were trained in the traditional way, but choose to follow a different path because of being disillusioned with the medical field. There are many well-known doctors around who have been able to help people heal in a natural way without drugs. I have very strong feelings about drugs and what the FDA, pharmacuetical companies are trying to push on people. I could carry on and on with this subject, but really want to express myself in bits and pieces.

Early this summer I fell and broke my ribs. I was in terrific pain, but was able to take care of it and get it to heal alot faster with some simple measures I took from researching. My doctor told me that there is not much that can be done for broken ribs except to manage the pain. Well, I did have to resort to ibuprophen to control the pain and had to sleep on my back for 5 weeks. It was a difficult time then as it was spring cleaning time, gardening, and I was trying to get ready to have my son, his wife, and my grandson come for a visit from the west coast. What I did was take epsom salts baths for the inflamation, and put on ice in the beginning. I went to a Natural Wellness Clinic for some hands on therapy. She gave me some homeopathic remedies and did some quantum touch, and a few inflammatory supplements. She also gave me some positive affirmations to speed the healing. I remember going in and rating my pain to be about a 9 or 10 on a scale of 10 being the worst. I came out and my pain had gone down to a 4 or 5. It sure did help alot. Of course, in something like a cracked rib, time is what it takes so I had to be patient and wait untill it healed. I now feel that I'm 100% better. I did have to go to the chiropractor for an adjustment a couple of months after as I really put myself out of alignment. That also helped to put me back into shape.

During this trial I had to bear I had to lay low, rest, and could not be very active for some time. I had time to stop to smell the roses, so to speak. And time to think, dream, and just slow down. It was a nice time, as much as it bugged me to have to slow down. I started to pray more , to thank God for all things He has done for me. I started to count my blessings every night. I was so amazed at how many blessings I could count. Each day new ones were there right before my eyes, blessings I probably never would have noticed had I not cracked those ribs. Now I try hard to remember to count my blessings each night when I say the Lords Prayer. And I thank God for each and every day. Life is so precious, wonderful and beautiful!




No comments: